Tuesday, September 08, 2009

counter culture



Hannah invited me to the Duke game on Saturday night. It was the first time I'd been to Wallace-Wade stadium since our youth group went sometime around 1992. I stood in my closet for a long time trying to find something blue. It turns out that the only blue thing I have is a long sleeved hoodie...so I rolled up the sleeves and "glistened" until the sun went down. I did, however, wear my Wolfpack watch and carry my Wolfpack pocketbook. Never let it be said that I'm lacking in the "team spirit" department.

I had a great time...but it was certainly different.

There were just as many Duke shirts as not. There may have been 50 members of the marching band. Ticketed seats aren't really enforced. No one in the stadium actually watches the game. There's no first down cheer...and we didn't get to sing "go to hell, Carolina" (although I don't think they would have minded so much...). Come to think of it...I don't know that I heard a fight song the whole night...

I got really excited when we left in the third quarter to go to Elmo's for a Greek Grilled Cheese. But they close at 10:00 and we got there at 9:59. Oh well. There's always next time...


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home