Monday, July 27, 2009

in the ditch

And he said to them, "Which of you, having a son or an ox that has fallen into a ditch on a Sabbath day, will not immediately pull him out?"
Luke 14:5 (ESV)

Well...our ox was in the ditch, so to speak.

We don't usually work on the Lord's day, but Fred had hay on the ground, and stormclouds were rolling in. (For you city folks, hay needs to be completely dry when it gets baled and put away or it will mold.)

So we headed out to the hayfield.

I got to ride on the back of the trailer and stack the bales that were thrown on. I just couldn't do the top layer since it's taller than me. It's a good thing that coastal hay is lighter than alfalfa..


Here's farmer Fred, complete with WoundVac drainage tube and suction pump...


Speaking of the wound, I found an ox that I'd like to throw in a ditch...

The first shower of rain barely misses us. We finally get it all loaded and head towards the barn as the thunder rolls overhead:

Woo hoo! The hay is safe in the shelter. Let it rain!

And it did.

I did not get away from the hayfield unscathed. As we were getting close to the end, I was standing near the back of the trailer. Shirley (who was driving the tractor) accelerated and hit a bump in the field at the same time. I bounced right off the trailer and hit my shin on the metal edge on my way to the ground. I have a terrific lump and it hurts like crazy.

At least I don't need a WoundVac...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Anonymous the infamous john frederic said...

i kind of miss the thrill of getting hay in before it rains, and the relief after its done and i can sit on the couch and hear the rain on the roof

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Carroll said...

It WAS thrilling. Especially since Shirley made us peach smoothies to celebrate. She's on a smoothie kick right now...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home