Tuesday, June 16, 2009

the good old days



My aunt Martha came to see me yesterday. She just came in for the night, but what a night we had! I love my aunt Martha. She jokes that I'm more like her than her own children. We had a great supper and a wonderful talk, and then the fun started...

Aunt Martha is Fred's sister. They're kind of hilarious when they start telling stories about the good old days. I got to hear all about them growing up, where the Baptist church used to be, and which tobacco warehouse in town had a fish restaurant in the basement. We stayed up too late laughing at their memories of the creepy old undertaker in town and the dentist who would drill your teeth without novocaine. They told all of the funny stories about their parents and grandparents, about the time that hurricane Hazel came through, and the time that my great-granddaddy found some drunk cows (I'll have to tell that one later...).

It was one of those nights that I'll think of years from now when I remember the "good old days..."


Labels:

6 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

fun times! that reminds me of my aunt maryann... she remembers everything so we always get her to tell stories :)

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger babyarnie said...

That's so wonderful that she's a "bosom friend". Did I spell Bosom right b/c it feels funny to type it ;)

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Lydia said...

Martha makes me laugh. I think it's great that you are so close to your aunt!! Email me!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Rachael said...

I hate that I missed her. Did she have the little dogs with her?

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous jessica said...

That's a really good picture.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Heather Mattern said...

How wonderful! I am heading to see my Grandmother next month and looking forward to a fun night of our own!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home