Wednesday, July 01, 2009

ain't that a kick in the...

Fred was wounded in the line of duty last week.

He got kicked by a cow. In the upper thigh. It turned positively black and had a knot the size of a tennis ball. His doctor decided that they needed to remove the knot surgically to ensure that everything healed properly. It's healing...but very slowly. He's been in the hospital since last Thursday.

We figure that we may as well laugh about the injury. One of his friends bestowed a prestigious honor on him. He's the first recipient of the Purple Udder Award:



He's got his instructions from the physical therapist:



I've also been having too much fun bringing him stuff. I'm particularly proud of the balloon. Her name is Bertha. I found him a cow to play with that won't kick him. Last night I smuggled in some Eastern NC bbq, slaw, and hushpuppies. I figured that he needed some comfort food.



Fred's fame has spread throughout the hospital. Every time a new nurse comes in and sees the cows, they say "Oh YOU'RE the one that got kicked by a cow!"

Joking aside, all prayers are appreciated. When he does come home (hopefully in a couple of days), he'll be on crutches for at least two weeks. I have a feeling that this will be difficult for him and for Shirley.

All things considered, I guess this beats a kick in the head...


Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

I'm glad he's getting better. Nothing like camping out in the waiting area with CANDY.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger babyarnie said...

I'm thinking he was bored and looking for something fun to do so he faked this whole thing to get a vacation to the hospital. ;)

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Ah, barbeque... you're a good daughter. :) I should have the Inspector General call the Lt. Colonel. Or maybe Fred's already had all the ribbing he can take?

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger kareng said...

glad to see he is recovering, and of course we will pray for him! I am also hoping that he will be the first and only recipient of the P.U.A.!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home