Tuesday, October 30, 2007

chicagoland



So we went to the Windy City. Our planes from NC, MA, and OH all arrived within 20 minutes of each other, so we had a joyous reunion at the baggage carousel. We piled into our rented minivans and headed through the city. Burt had mapped us out a scenic drive to his place. We got to go right through downtown and drive along Lake Michigan. We saw the Sears Tower, the fountain from the opening shot of 'Married with Children' (which would have been cool to me if I'd been allowed to watch that show...), Navy Pier, and the highrise where Oprah lives (she owns the top two floors).

We finally made it to Burt and Laura's new condo. It's in a beautiful old building, but everything inside is completely new (well...except for some of the exposed brick - but you know what I mean). We decided that even though Laura hadn't arrived yet, we should go ahead and take a family picture...



We were going to go out for lunch, but Burt suggested that we try the famous Giordano's pizza. After waiting for an hour (in which time Alla and I almost died of starvation), the pizza arrived. It was worth the wait! It was all I could do to eat a piece and a half. All the toppings and cheese were stuffed inside. Truly the greatest pizza I have ever eaten...and a wonderful first meal in Laura and Burt's home (even if we had to use pizza box lids for plates!).



The rehearsal dinner was perfect. I managed to eat all of my steak even though I'd had pizza not two hours earlier. We got to meet Laura's wonderful family. It was amazing that even though we were just meeting them, it seemed like we'd known them forever. I really hope they'll make it down to NC to visit us sometime. We also had to go ahead and get a cousin picture at the rehearsal dinner. Burt didn't get the memo about appropriate attire...but, he's the groom...so I guess it doesn't really matter...



The wedding day arrived, and the weather was perfect! Somehow Erin and I managed to do Laura's hair. They had a beautiful, sweet ceremony. I was tapped to handle the guest book at the last minute. I'm starting to get really good at handling guest books...



Laura didn't give me a chance to run away from the bouquet toss at the reception. She just came up and ceremoniously handed me the bouquet. Hmmm...



We all left the reception and headed back to Alla and Steve's room at the hotel to watch the World Series. Steve is a HUGE Red Sox fan...and although he was glad that they won the series, he was wicked upset that they didn't win at Fenway Park, and that he wasn't there to see it. Oh well...he'll be at the parade today. I hope it'll be wicked awesome.

We all managed to get up and get to the airport on time. It was a little sad as we all got back on our different planes to head home...but we'll all be together again in another 4 weeks. It never ceases to amaze me how, even though we all see each other maybe twice a year, when we do get together, it's like we've never been apart. I guess we're just blessed!

So that's the short version of the weekend's festivities. We made a lot of new friends, ate too much, and never quite got around to playing cards. I guess that leaves us something to do over Thanksgiving. John won Burt Bowl 2007. That leaves me at 4-4 on the season, even though I have the 2nd most points in the league. Oh well.

It was great to go, but nice to be home. Now I just have to finish getting my Halloween costume together.

And lest I forget: HOW 'BOUT THAT PACK?!?!





Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great update! (And I like your top in the first pic, looks good on you.) Laura is lovely, and I'm glad the wedding went well. :)

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger 83rocketscientist said...

Told you the pack was getting better...I am a little worried about Miami's speed rush this weekend though....

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Lydia said...

You look beautiful, I also like your top! Glad you had a good time!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Carroll said...

I'm glad y'all liked it. Shirley did not.

: )

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

I like how John NEVER EVER smiles in pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home