Sunday, July 27, 2008

home sweet tank



We had a great time at the beach. Really. I cooked all week, saw Mamma Mia!, got a nice shade of bronze, and didn't drown. But, no matter how nice it is to go away, nothing beats coming home...unless you come home and then get to play a video game the size of a tractor trailer.

It was family day. We went to see Lt. John at the armory. They usually have a tank parked out front for the kids to climb on...but this year, they also had a humvee. Here, John gives us a tour of the vehicle he rode around Iraq in:



Then, I made everyone pose on the tank because I'm a sucker for a photo op:



The tank simulator was the best! It was huge, and I'm pretty sure it had enough computer power to control the free world. Rachael and I quickly discovered that tanks were NOT designed with women in mind. Here, I'm sitting in the gunner's seat and Rach is commanding the tank (where John usually is). There's also a 50 cal simulator above that seat:



The system wasn't all the way on when I was gunning. I just got to turn the turret. Rachael actually got to blow up a tank. I was jealous. Of course, the Colonel had to get in there and prove that he still had it. John commanded, and Rachael and I did the loader's position. I think there's something about tanks in the Burt genes...



Here's a shot of the drivers' seat. You're basically laying down. By far the most comfy seat in the tank. Unless, like my future sister-in-law, you're claustrophobic. She lasted a good 5 seconds, and then John had to pull her out.



All in all, a fun time. I'm SO asking for one of these for Christmas...

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

I killed 5 terrorists, blew up a tank, then crashed into 2 other tanks (all while wearing makeup). Boy, I'm good!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Aarmel said...

Although I enjoyed your whole post, I have to know one thing...how was Mamma Mia?

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger babyarnie said...

I LOVE the tank pic of you and Rach!! I think they way underestimate the destruction power of several women crammed in a tank together. The possibilities are endless....

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Carroll said...

Mel - Mamma Mia was GREAT! I'm totally going to see it again!

Martha - I think that if women were crammed in a tank for more than about 45 minutes, we'd have a lot more friendly-fire deaths...

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Lydia said...

Wow, Carroll- you really ARE tan- looks good:)I, of course, want to hear all about the beach trip!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Wandering Family said...

You're back! Glad y'all had fun. Also, good to hear that they're keeping all that tank technology secretly locked away from potential terrorists like you.

;)

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Carroll said...

OK, J, we prefer the term "Freedom Fighters." And may I remind you that in a Red Dawn situation, Rachael and I will be good to have around. : )

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger 83rocketscientist said...

I might be designing some of that stuff...someday ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home