Thursday, April 05, 2007

the Blood



With Easter approaching, I've been thinking a lot about Jesus' shed blood. I don't think often enough how I was guilty. Condemned. Dead.
But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love, intervened. He provided a perfect sacrifice, His Son, who willingly offered His perfect blood to cleanse our sin, defeated death, and allowed us to be reconciled to God.

There is a fountain filled with blood
Drawn from Emmanuel’s veins;
And sinners plunged beneath that flood
Lose all their guilty stains.
***
Arise, my soul, arise; shake off thy guilty fears;
The bleeding sacrifice in my behalf appears:
Before the throne my surety stands,
Before the throne my surety stands,
My name is written on His hands.
***
Oh, Precious is that flow
That makes me white as snow
No other fount I know
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
***
He breaks the power of canceled sin,
He sets the prisoner free;
His blood can make the foulest clean,
His blood availed for me.
***
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.
***
Would you be whiter, much whiter than snow?
There’s power in the blood, power in the blood;
Sin stains are lost in its life giving flow.
There’s wonderful power in the blood.
***
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.
***
Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

What a Savior, indeed!


Labels:

9 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good thoughts on a bittersweet day!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Lydia said...

I have chill bumps. Wonderful!

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Lydia said...

PS I'm eating Chipotle Limon Pringles right now. What good is a beach trip if your friends don't get you addicted to something new?

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Carroll said...

mwa-ha-ha-ha...I just got Rachael hooked on them tonight...

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger babyarnie said...

Hey... isn't that song removed from a few hymnals?? Too violent they say? What a shame.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Carroll said...

which one?

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger babyarnie said...

Some Methodist churches took all the songs about the blood out of their hymnals b/c they were too violent they said.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Lydia said...

Ok, that's just wrong!!!!I know some hymnals also changed the words "such a worm as I" to "sinner such as I." (the hymn is At the Cross- I think) Guess no one wants to admit that they are worms!

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Carroll said...

I'm not a bit surprised. The Methodists are also famous for taking out references to "man" ie "Good Christian Friends Rejoice." The Wesleys are spinning in their graves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home