Monday, March 19, 2007

a tale of two houses

So we went away for our Girls' Weekend. We stayed at the beautiful Elmwood...an 1840s-era house that has recently undergone an extensive renovation. It sits back off the road and has an awesome view. My only complaint was that with all those porches and balconies, there wasn't one porch swing. I guess it's just as well...it was entirely too cold to be sitting on a porch swing.



The second old house we visited was the Bartlett Yancey house in Yanceyville, NC. We met my Great-Aunt Anne and her daughter Lee Ann (who's actually my second cousin...but she's always felt more like an aunt...). It has been restored and is now a first rate restaurant. I love the color...it's actually in the historical color palette.



Group picture after lunch:



On to the silliness:




There was a bidet in the bathroom. It made us snicker every time we went in there. Just remember: it's NOT a water fountain.



The man who lives next door has Coco and Smokey...and I'm told that he hitches them up and gives people donkey cart rides. I wouldn't know. I REALLY wanted a donkey cart ride...but it just didn't happen. Maybe next time...



And last but not least...my aunts Lois and Marie and the stuffed WienerMobile. Their cousin Brack (her actual name is Annie Bracken - and I'm not making this up) has a thing for WienerMobiles...and she insisted that Lois bring her a Hot Wheels one a few months ago. Lois saw the stuffed one, and knew that she HAD to have it.

Lois, Marie, and Shirley spent some time singing around the piano Sunday morning. It's kinda funny to get a bunch of altos together and then make one of them sing soprano. Since they were missing my aunt Kay from their quartet, we decided to name the trio "NoKay." I'm expecting their album to be picked up by a recording studio any day now...

So that's about it. I ate way too much, laughed a lot, and found a great pair of jeans when we were shopping (and that's pretty amazing, since we were in Roxboro...). And I can't wait to do it again...

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Lydia said...

Sounds like fun, I'm glad you had a great time! Speaking of porch swings...well, with your track record, I'm not sure you should risk sitting on one anytime soon:) And finding a great pair of jeans just makes a day PERFECT, don't you think? I know Heather would agree!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

so would I!

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger babyarnie said...

Such a great looking family! Girls days are so fun!!

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to know more about Bartlett Yancey and Caswell County? Here are links that will help:

Main CCHA Website

CCHA Message Board

Caswell County Family Tree

CCHA Blog

Caswell Co., NC GenWeb

Caswell County Photograph Collection

Caswell County Cemetery Census

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Martha - that's a bunch of great looking people!

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Carroll said...

did I just get Caswell County spam???

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you did. That is too funny! Lets just hope you don't get Frogsboro spam.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger kareng said...

It looks like so much fun. Makes me want to go there, esp with all the info on the area! I would love a bidet(if it has warm water)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home