Tuesday, May 03, 2011

D to the C



My good buddy Meredith invited me to go to Washington DC with her, her mama, and her 4 kids.

(The jury is still out on whether she was crazy to invite me, or whether I was crazy to accept.)

We got off the metro at the USDA...I was REALLY tempted to go in and tell them exactly what I think of their Specialty Crops Program:


Then we strolled down to the Bureau of Engraving. It turns out that I'm $1,537,800 tall. Who knew?


After taking some nice tourist shots with Benjamin and Emily


we headed to the Smithsonian.



First stop, American History. I got to see Dorothy's ruby slippers, an AMAZING exhibit on America's wars, and was completely star-struck when I saw Kermit the Frog.

I made a special trip to check out Julia Child's kitchen...


...where I found my new favorite quote:


That's my new mantra.

On the way out, I saw C-3PO and totally geeked out on them.


This is the costume from Return of the Jedi, in case you were wondering. I wonder if it still has sand from Tatooine in the joints...

After lunch, we were off to the Natural History museum. How about that elephant (and Emi's pretty cute, too)!?!


We went through the skeleton exhibit. Here, at the buffalo skeleton, Benjamin, Eli, and Emily show off their best buffalo faces:


Since I'm mildly obsessed with Bones, we went through a forensic anthropology exhibit based on skeletons found at Jamestown. This boy died from an infection after he was shot with an arrow. See the arrowhead (in his left femur)? It was found with the skeleton. Fascinating.


Somehow, I ended up taking the boys through the gem exhibit. They wanted to see the Hope Diamond. For 20 minutes, all I heard about was the Hope Diamond.

Then we saw the Hope Diamond.


Eli steps up, peeks in, shrugs his shoulders, and says "It's kinda small."

Talk about anti-climactic.

We HAD to go to the gift shop (Benjamin's goal was to leave no gift shop unbrowsed). I found a kitty that looked a bit like Oozey!


After a snack, we were back on the mall and on our way to the Air and Space Museum. Sydney, Eli, Benjamin, and Emily took part in a paper airplane-building contest


while Francine modeled the very latest in aviator fashion:



I was eager to see the World War II memorial, so we walked down the mall...with a break for some Funny Girl, of course:


Funny girls, indeed.

The WWII memorial was amazing. Beautiful. Sad.




I sure wish my Grandaddy could have seen it.



It was late, and my gimpy foot (which - all things considered - did VERY well) was starting to throb. So we headed back to the hotel.





Stay tuned for the adventure I can't talk about...




Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Y'all did a lot!!

I so wanted to see Dorothy's shoes the last time we went. But we did the National Gallery of Art instead. And... The International Spy Museum! Which you would love! (Sadly, they won't let you take pictures.)

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Monica said...

Y'all covered quite a bit one day! And I love the WWII memorial at night! We saw it during the day, and while it is still sombering and impressive, I love the looks of the lights at night!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home