Sunday, December 07, 2008

nostalgic decor

When I first moved in to Grandmother and Granddaddy's house a few years ago, I raided all of the Christmas decorations in the attic. They hadn't seen daylight in years...most of them were decorations that I'd never even seen before. Here are a few of my favorites:



The Nativity Scene. It's not super fancy, and doesn't have sheperds, or animals, or angels. Someone made it for Grandmother ages ago. It's simple and elegant...and the best part is that it came packed in a box from Belk's circa 1960.



The glass balls. These are vintage glass ball ornaments in every color. A lot of them are small...about the size of a grape...so they'd be tedious to hang on the tree (not to mention the fact that they're probably 50 years old and I don't want them shattered by a certain calico kitty). I pile them up in the candy dish. I think it adds a festive touch!



Here's a neat one...although it didn't come from Grandmother's house. This tree topper belonged to my great grandparents. My mom found it in the house when they moved in...and I don't know that they ever used it. I talked her out of it a few years ago. I love how unusual it is!



This last decoration - well - it's not Grandmother's. She had a bell like this one. She would always hang it on the doorway between the kitchen and the den. When you pull the clapper down, it played Silent Night. My cousins and I always enjoyed scooting a chair over from the table and reaching up to pull the cord. Even when Grandmother's health prevented her from decorating for Christmas, she would always hang the bell.

When we cleaned out her house, I found the bell. I had it in my hands. I distinctly remember saying "Be sure not to throw this out. I want it." Well...the bell disappeared. To this day I don't know what happened to it. I was moping about losing the bell the other night, when I thought, "I should check eBay."


Lo and behold...there was a bell.

Just like Grandmother's.


When it came, I slowly took it out of the box and pulled the cord. It was all I could do to keep from shedding a tear right then. That's the best $10 I've ever spent.

Y'all come on over and check out my new favorite Christmas decoration. I'll even let you stand on a chair and pull the cord.


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Blogger babyarnie said...

I'm so glad you found that bell like hers. Special memories! I LOVE what you did with the vintage balls.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Monica said...

How wonderful! And to think you found a bell just like it! Last year for the first time ever we actually STOPPED at Meadow instead of just driving through, and their store has gum drops of all kinds. I shocked Bobby by actually buying several bags because I don't like them, but my grandparents ALWAYS made a gum drop tree at Christmas. It was neat...

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Karen said...

You should post more pictures of your house decorated for Christmas. It looks so festive! My fave is the mantle display. Are you enjoying that one special light switch you designed especially for Christmas lights?

 
At 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job.! Your Christmas decoration is adorable. Love those glass balls.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Lydia said...

What great sentimental decorations- I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home