Thursday, November 13, 2008

pass the popcorn

It's that time of year again. I know it's a bit early, but I'm ready to pour myself a glass of egg nog, switch on the fireplace, and put on a Christmas movie while I set up the snow village. I love Christmas movies. Sometimes I watch them in July, just because it's been 6 months since I've seen them. Here are my top 5:




#5 - Whatever Christmas movie of the week that comes on between Thanksgiving and Christmas. You know the story: a man/woman who has forgotten the real meaning of Christmas comes (by chance) to a small town, where they initially hate, then fall in love with someone who lives there, just in time to kiss under the mistletoe on Christmas eve.



#4 - While You Were Sleeping. "All the great ones were tall. Argentina has good beef. These mashed potatoes are so creamy. No one plays the clarinet any more. Can you imagine Dustin Hoffman saving the Alamo?" Want me to keep going? I can...



#3 - The Holiday. What's better than a Christmas story where someone falls in love? A story where TWO couples fall in love! This is my favorite Jack Black movie ever. It's just so sweet!



#2 - The Muppet Christmas Carol. Anyone that has known me more than 5 minutes knew this one was coming. Everyone together now: "It's in the singing of a street corner choir; It's going home and getting warm by the fire; It's true wherever you find love it feels like Christmas!"



#1 - White Christmas. The Christmas movie to end all Christmas movies. Singing, dancing, and a bit of conniving! I've seen this movie about a thousand times, and I still tear up when they sing for the general at the end.

So those are my favorites. What are yours?


Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger KatieMarie said...

i love, love, LOVE "While You Were Sleeping." I could cry right now just thinking of it. I'm going to watch it next week when I come back. My favorite line is, "These mashed potatoes are so creamy!"

i also love "Elf." It's hilarious!

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Meredith said...

While You Were Sleeping is fantastic, but I also love Miracle on 34th Street (the new one). Every Christmas, I tell Dave that he needs to watch it with me, but somehow we never get around to it...I think this is going to be the year!

Anyone ever seen Emmit Otter's Jug Band Christmas? It was my FAVORITE when I was little!

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I am completely with you on 1-4... but I'd have to put 'Love Actually' up there somewhere in my top 5!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Richpo the Unmagnificent said...

Muppets are on my list. But I have to include A Christmas Story, It's a Wonderful Life and Charlie Brown. It simply CAN NOT be Christmas without Linus reading from Luke 2! And I've got to see The Nativity Story again but I think it will be on my list. Oh, and Star Wars: A New Hope, too! ;-)

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Elf!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Wandering Family said...

Carroll, you are a woman after my own heart. Other than food, Christmas is my other passion. Here are my 5: A Christmas Story, Miracle on 34th (the new one), Christmas Vacation, White Christmas, Holiday Inn. I also like George C. Scott's version of A Christmas Carol, The Santa Claus, and While You Were Sleeping. It is just so hard to choose. Does anyone have Christmas trivia for me? I can't find Christmas trivia that I don't already know (thanks Christmas Trivial Pursuit).

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Hannah E. Carson said...

A Christmas Story
Elf
National Lampoon's Christmas Vac.
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Meet Me In St. Louis.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger babyarnie said...

Holiday Inn is my all time fav!!
Elf is a must
Yes!! to Charlie Brown Christmas
And I am ashamed to say I've NEVER seen While you were Sleeping. I'll add it to my list.

And Meredith has my interest piqued in Emmit Otter's Jug Band Christmas.

Oh and The Grinch (the old one)

I could go on and on... I love Christmas.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Richpo the Unmagnificent said...

Here's a link for ya, Carroll:

We like our Christmas films wrapped in dysfunction

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Lydia said...

1. Meet Me in St Louis
2. Muppet Christmas Carol
3. While you were Sleeping
4. Holiday Inn/White Christmas
5. The Holiday

My Kids' List
1. Elmo Saves Christmas
2. Twice Upon a Christmas- Micky Mouse
3. Barbie in "The Nutcracker"
4. Polar Express
5. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Hannah forgot to tell you how much she loves "Ernest Saves Christmas."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home