Monday, December 01, 2008

walk to work

I have a bit of a walk from the parking deck to my office every day. It takes about 10 minutes. Here's a glimpse into the first few minutes of my work day. After parking in the Reynolds deck, I pass Reynolds Coliseum. Former (and, were it up to me, current) home of the Wolfpack basketball program.



I cross the street and head down into the tunnel. No...it's not the Free Expression Tunnel that's been under fire for the last few weeks. I stay out of that one lest I have a run-in with the NAACP. This is just a regular old tunnel...



Then it's up the stairs and past the old fieldhouse. Did you know that my Granddaddy lived here when he was at State? He was recruited as a quarterback and played until Uncle Sam called him away from school.



I make my way up into central campus. The bricks are beautiful, but slippery when wet! One of these buildings houses the nuclear reactor. If I start glowing green, someone let me know please...



Here's the best part of the journey: walking through the garden. The landscaping and horticulture departments manage it. Every plant has a little plaque beside it telling what it is.



You know what's to the right of the garden? B parking spots. I learned quickly that a B parking sticker is a status symbol at NC State. I'm on the waiting list for one. I'm number 356. So if I play my cards right, then by the time I'm ready to retire, I'll be able to park right outside the building.



At long last, I arrive at my destination: Patterson Hall. It's one of the older buildings on campus...in fact, the basement used to house animals! (that's right, my office is a former stall)



So that's how I spend my time between 7:50 and 8:00 each morning. At least it's not uphill both ways!


Labels:

9 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger Wandering Family said...

What is going on with the free expression tunnel?

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Carroll said...

The night of the election, a couple of students expressed their dismay about Obama, and there's been a horrible fallout. Check it out:

http://tinyurl.com/55qc8f

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I love this post. Thank you for thinking to take pictures! It almost makes me wish I had a pretty walk to work every morning. :)

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Monica said...

Wow! That's a pretty nice building to once have housed animals?

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger babyarnie said...

Oh that SO brings back memories. That is almost exactly the walk I took every morning. Be careful of that tunnel though b/c 2 guys almost flashed me in it one evening!! And good luck with the B parking space. My last semester I finally got mine (not a B but a D).

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Lydia said...

Great post- a nice view into your life! Email me about Mordecai!!!!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger katiejoy said...

I might know someone with a B parking pass... hahaha

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Carroll said...

Katie - You're just rubbing it in!

Lydia - I'm emailing you right now!

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Rachael said...

...and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home