Thursday, October 23, 2008

andy who?



My boss' mom is here from Miami. They're Cuban...but my boss grew up in Miami and has lived here for about a year and a half. She wanted to show her mom around and give her some real North Carolina experiences. Yesterday they hit the science museum and downtown. Today they're headed to the fair. I think they're going to eat some Eastern NC BBQ sometime before she leaves.

They just came by the office to say hello, and asked if there was anything else in Raleigh that shouldn't be missed. I suggested that they go down the street to Pullen Park to ride the train and the carousel and to get their picture made with the Andy Griffith statue.

My suggestion was met with a blank stare.

"Who?" My boss asked.

My coworkers and I were stunned into silence. When we had regained our composure, the barrage of questions started:

"You've never heard of The Andy Griffith Show?"
"The opening shot of the dad and his son going fishing?"
"Ron Howard - the director and star of 'Happy Days'?"
"Barney Fife with the bullet in his pocket?"
"Aunt Bea and Goober and Earnest T. Bass?"
"Mayberry?"

We even sang the song. Nothing.

I'm compiling a list of links to online episodes for my boss right now.

Y'all...we are blessed and we don't even know it.


Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger katiejoy said...

what? the song has lyrics? or when you say sing, you mean whistle? j/k I know it has lyrics... something about coming down to the fishin' hole

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Rachael said...

Too bad Andy and Op. are liberals.


Well, now, take down your fishin' pole and meet me at The Fishin' Hole,
We may not get a bite all day, but don't you rush away.

What a great place to rest your bones and mighty fine for skippin' stones,
You'll feel fresh as a lemonade, a-settin' in the shade.

Whether it's hot, whether it's cool, oh what a spot for whistlin' like a fool.

What a fine day to take a stroll and wander by The Fishin' Hole,
I can't think of a better way to pass the time o' day.

We'll have no need to call the roll when we get to The Fishin' Hole,
There'll be you, me, and Old Dog Trey, to doodle time away.

If we don't hook a perch or bass, we'll cool our toes in dewy grass,
Or else pull up a weed to chaw, and maybe set and jaw.

Hangin' around, takin' our ease, watchin' that hound a-scratchin' at his fleas.

Come on, take down your fishin' pole and meet me at The Fishin' Hole,
I can't think of a better way to pass the time o' day.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger babyarnie said...

I'm glad you posted all that Rach so I didn't have to. Katie.... I'm such a nerd I even have the cd.

And yes..... you have to overlook their new stupid liberal commercial.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Meredith said...

Only in NC...my mom even took a class on the Andy Griffith show at our local community college when I was growing up.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Karen said...

So I'm wondering... you've made some obvious political endorsements here on the blog... (McCain/Palin, Dole, Troxler...) and yet... no support for dear ole' Dad???

Shouldn't there be big announcements, some campaigning, trail stumping... something?

I voted yesterday.
EARLY VOTING! Go me!

And Fred got mine. :)

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is Fred running for? I used to work with a girl who didn't like the Andy show. And now I hear Andy & Op are liberals. Say it ain't so!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Wandering Family said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am using your State Fair picture for my computer back drop. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home