Wednesday, October 22, 2008

savory and sweet



Lydia and I had our annual binge last night. She picked me up at work and we headed to the fair grounds. Armed with wet-naps and plenty of cash, we decide on a savory/sweet approach and begin to scope out the eats:



First stop: Chicken pita. They jacked the price up $2 from last year, but hey...you only live once! I was so excited about eating mine that I forgot to take a picture of Lydia eating hers. Let's just say that she finished hers, and I had to leave 2 bites. This is really about pacing yourself, so between food stops we took in some exhibits. In the Ark, we stopped to see the giant pumpkins:



And we ran into someone who has more kids than Lydia! (I think she had 7 or 8 - the pig...not Lydia)



After checking out a pottery display, we were hungry again. Time for a sweet treat...fried Milky Ways! Mmmm...



After we made sure that the powdered sugar was off our clothes and the caramel was out of our teeth, it was off to the exhibition building for a stop at the Republican booth. They were out of McCain/Palin stickers (that's a good thing), so I got a Steve Troxler (Commissioner of Agriculture) sticker instead. He's awesome. We had to go by and get a free Lions' Club peanut, then went to see Martha's picture on display with the art. On the way out, we stopped for samples of kettle corn. Not too sweet, not too salty.

Miss Savory was ready for some french fries, so we made our way over to Al's. These are the best fries at the fair. All they need is a mist of vinegar:



And a drizzle of ketchup. Yummy!



We walked down the midway...and even though I'd hit the petting zoo with Meredith on Friday night, I had to go again. Check Lydia's blog for the pictures...

At this point, we start to think about heading back to the car. Lydia stopped for an elephant ear for Rich:



And then, the moment we'd waited for all night...NC STATE ICE CREAM!!! After much debate, Lydia goes for the vanilla milkshake (I know...that was anti-climactic...). We were sure to pick up some I Heart NC State Ice Cream stickers for Kimberly, Lauren, Brandon, and Connor. We strolled through the arts and crafts building for a bite of free fudge to go with our ice cream.



So that was our night at the fair. I think we managed to come home with a dollar or so in our pockets. Is it possible to have a fair hangover? Because I think I have a fair hangover...

It was SOOOOOO DELICIOUS!


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger sara said...

I just saw how much you ate at Lydia's blog, so I had to come here and see how much she ate! Wow- it is a good thing you didn't go on the swing ride after all of that (which is what I did after a polish sausage- not a good idea)

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Lydia said...

Sara makes me laugh- rides, indeed. The people standing beneath the rides would not have liked me:)
And everything WAS sodalicious. And I'm of hollish ancestry, heehee:)

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Umm, did you REALLY put vinegar on your french fries?

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Aarmel said...

Oh, the fair! I'm SO jealous!!! Do you think you could mail me some fair food?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home