Tuesday, May 30, 2006

a day late



"On Memorial Day, America undertakes its solemn duty to remember the sacred list of brave Americans who have sacrificed their lives for the cause of freedom and the security of our Nation...

...We pray for peace throughout the world, remembering what was gained and what was lost during times of war. From the bravery of the men at Valley Forge, to the daring of Normandy, the courage of Iwo Jima, and the steady resolve in Afghanistan and Iraq, our men and women in uniform have won for us every hour that we live in freedom...

...As we honor those who have served and have been lost, we better understand the meaning of patriotism and citizenship, and we pledge that their sacrifices will not be in vain...

...The noble sacrifices of our service men and women will not be forgotten. Every name, every life is a loss to our military, to our Nation, and to their loved ones. Americans stand with the families who grieve, and we share in their great sorrow and great pride. There will be no homecoming on this Earth for those lost in battle, but we know that this reunion will one day come..."

George W. Bush
May 26, 2003

7 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger Goingintoalltheworld said...

Aesthetically, that's a great speech. Theologically, however, it's kind of interesting. I never know what to make of Bush's theology - sometimes it seems solid, and other times he talks about how Muslims and Christians worship the same God, etc.

Here, I think it's all good until the very last sentence, which needs a modifier stating that the reunion will happen for those who knew Jesus in this life. That would hardly include every soldier who has died for America. I'm curious to know how you view this - am I just being nitpicky and overanalyzing? or do you think that Bush should be clearer in his messages also?

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Carroll said...

Preach on, J. Preach on.

I totally agree with you. But bless his heart...he IS a Methodist...and we all know how they like to be wishy-washy on the absolutes...

; )

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Joy said...

Hmmm... I think I'll side-step commenting on this little theological conversation and just say that I had a WONDERFUL memorial day and that I really appreciate all the sacrifices that have been made so that I can live in a free land!

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Lydia said...

I'm with Joy on this one!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

me to

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched a very interesting program on UNC-TV(PBS) about Arlington Cemetary. Makes you really appreciated sacrifices made by soldiers... and after watching another Dateline on The Burnhams(sp?) and how these Christian soldiers paid the price with Martin's life (NTM missionaries in Phillipines, kidnapped and held hostage for about a year in the jungles by terrorists)Are we ready?

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Richpo the Unmagnificent said...

Here's a good tidbit I picked up from the Stands To Reason apologetics web site blog:

The Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington Cemetary outside of Washington, D.C. has been guarded by the sentinels every minute of everyday since 1937 in honor of those who have sacrificed their lives for our country. They walk their duty an hour at a time in the winter and a half-hour in the summer in full dress. Even when a hurricane bore down on D.C. a few years ago, the sentinels would not leave their post even having been given permission. Here is the Sentinels Creed:

My dedication to this sacred duty is total and wholehearted. In the responsibility bestowed on me never will I falter. And with dignity and perseverance my standard will remain perfection. Through the years of diligence and praise and the discomfort of the elements, I will walk my tour in humble reverence to the best of my ability. It is he who commands the respect I protect. His bravery that made us so proud. Surrounded by well meaning crowds by day alone in the thoughtful peace of night, this soldier will in honored glory rest under my eternal vigilance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home