Tuesday, January 17, 2006

addiction



Last night I made an amazing discovery. I decided to limit myself to two hours of TV...and I am thoroughly amazed at everything I got done! I was able to work on catching up to Martha and Jess in The Challenge, fold my laundry, go through everything on my desk and organize it, clean out a closet (where I found some fun stuff that I didn't know I had), and clean the kitchen. I even put out the new microwave (which - I must admit - I like a lot more than I thought I would).

So what have I learned from my little experiment? I watch too much TV. It's usually on from the time that I walk in the door until I go to bed at night. And I can't have it on in the background. If it's on, then I'm sitting on the couch and watching it.

Isn't admitting that you have a problem the first step to recovering from an addiction?

11 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger babyarnie said...

You go girl. I am so proud of you. Oh and speaking of too much tv, American Idol party at my house tonight at 8. (for those who are interested) :)

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Carroll said...

SWEET. I'll have to tape my other show. Good grief...how has it taken me this long to realize that I'm a TV addict?

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Rachael said...

I must be addicted to feeding my horses. I spend 42 hours a day feeding,watering, riding, scooping stalls, petting, threatening, and negotiating with my horses daily. Maybe if I give them to unsuspecting people it can become their problem and I'll have more time to clean out my fish tank. Well...I'm off to the feed store....

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Carroll said...

I've got an aquarium vacuum if you need it.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger babyarnie said...

I hope it actually sucks the fish up in it.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Goingintoalltheworld said...

Carroll,
As a former TV addict, I can't tell you how good it is to go without it for a while. Growing up without TV, I never realized what a magnetic power it can have over you (soccer matches from Chile, elk hunting from Canada, documentaries on building a bridge) until I moved away from one. All of a sudden, I have loads of extra time! It's like God added four extra hours to each day. I can finish my homework, play poker with friends, and read a good book, all in the time I used to waste watching "Modern Marvels" waiting for the next Chilean soccer match to come on.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger babyarnie said...

OK- it doesn't take a genius to find out that Modern Marvels is a complete waste of time- or how about the "HISTORY OF CONCRETE". Don't laugh.... I'm sorry to say I have actually seen it.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Goingintoalltheworld said...

Babyarnie,
I saw that one too! It was actually kinda interesting - how cement was discovered, how they realized you can mix it with other stuff and reinforce it with steel - wait, who am I kidding? Total waste of time!!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger babyarnie said...

Well, I hope you didn't watch it when you went off on your 2 year anniversary.!! om.... no I didn;t do that either :)

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Joy said...

the only TV i'll be watching this semester is the american idol we'll be seeing as a group - but i guess if i cut that out i'd have 4 more hours for biochem and genetics ;)

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Carroll said...

NERD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home